Training Aggressive Dogs
Posted on November 5th, 2020 by FetchMasters in Uncategorized
FetchMasters Dog Training in Denver, Colorado, specializes in high-performance obedience, off-leash reliability, positive gun dog training and leash reactivity / leash aggression. That said, we do NOT specialize in off-leash aggression, dog-on-dog aggression or dog-on-human aggression.
A dozen years in the Denver dog training community has taught me that it is always best to refer aggression cases to trainers who are truly experienced and skilled at those particular issues. One of my preferred referrals for aggression issues is Michael Curran of Houston Dog Behavior. And, before you ask: Yes, he can do a good job with most dog aggression cases from a distance.
In this interview I (Thomas Aaron) talk to Michael about his approach to training aggressive dogs. We cover a lot of topics, including:
- Safety concerns when dealing with dog aggression
- The purpose of management when dealing with aggression scenarios
- Medical and non-medical drivers of aggressive behavior in dogs
- Evaluating cases to determine the likelihood of success
- Why it is not a good idea to use e-collars or prong-collars on aggressive dogs
- Euthanasia considerations
I hope you enjoy the video. Feel free to reach out with any questions.